From spicy sprouts to sweet apricots; this week’s Farmstand Bag will have your taste buds exploding with flavor.
– 1 Acorn Squash (NC)
– 4 Apricots (WA)
Fruity Apricot Vinaigrette
1/2 lb fresh apricots
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground mustard
Chop apricots well, then whisk in other ingredients. Source: Vintage Remedies
– 1 Bunch Green Kale (SC)
– 1 Jumbo Yellow Onion (CA)
– 5oz Spicy Sprouts Pesticide Free (FL)
Do it Yourself – How to Sprout
1. Soak seeds overnight in a bowl with water.
2. The next morning, drain water and rinse with fresh water once or twice.
Place in a sprouting bag, or sprouting jar without any water. (Should still be humid, not completely dry.)
3. Every morning and night rinse with fresh water, to keep the sprouts wet and clean of mould.
Ensure the sprouts never dry up, and repeat process until your desired length or age of sprout.
4. Rinse out with fresh water and serve immediately in salads, wraps, smoothies, juices, breads/crackers, or just eat as a snack.
– 1/2 lb Red Flame Seedless Grapes (CA)
Rinse and enjoy. Or place on a baking sheet and freeze for at least 2 hours for a cool, refreshingly sweet snack.